Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2009

God's Fingerprints and Faithfulness... (10/29/09)

We have entered into my favorite time of year- Fall, the time when God’s beauty is revealed so magnificently everywhere I look. Over the weekend Larry and Denise (Luke’s parents) came up to see us. (Denise’s first time of seeing our new place.) We had lunch and then went up to Liberty’s Ski Lodge and then went for a ride along the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The red, orange, green, and yellow leaves glistened in the sun with the perfect backdrop of clear blue skies with touches of cottony clouds, created one of the most beautiful scenes I have ever experienced. The dips in the mountains were accentuated and defined by the lines of colors that showed God’s fingerprints. The crevasses looked so smooth and gently carved from the massive mountains.

Recently, I had a Sunday School teacher tell how he explains to his children how Big God is; as big as the mountains were and as tall as some of the peaks were, My God is Bigger! That thought seemed to consume me while riding along the parkway. He carefully carved the rocks and shaped the mountains into this beautiful picture that we can see so many years later.

I have often found myself falling into the pit of self-pity, worry and despair. It seems that my eyes are being opened more and more everyday to realize that I have it great in comparison to the majority of people. I am loved, have a home, have a family, a church, food and clothing.

On October 28, I would have been unemployed for three-months; however, on Tuesday I received the call from Liberty, from the department I was very interested in and offered a job. Praise God!! After nearly 10 interviews, 2 offers and one acceptance, I feel that I am in the right place! Some of the hardest obstacles I had to overcome during this trial was to turn down 2 job offers. I turned to prayer and desiring God’s will for me and His guidance and could not accept the 2 previous offers. I found myself questioning myself and worried about what others may think of me for turning down a job.  I realized the importance of vocation instead of just a pay check.  (This job actually found me- I had not even applied for that specific position!  Talk about a divine appointment!)  I am so appreciative for Luke, my family and friends that encouraged me to pray and answer accordingly.  Thank you all for praying for us during this time!!

I made my concerns and requests known in very specific prayers to God. Matthew 7:7-8 (HCSB) 7 "Keep asking, and it will be given to you. Keep searching, and you will find. Keep knocking, and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives, and the one who searches finds, and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.

Had I not had the faith and encouragement, I would have probably accepted the first job, which was not the right place for me. The second one I turned down was even more nerve racking as I was a little bit more comfortable with that job, but still felt that the position I received was the place for me. I now am very comfortable with the position I have accepted and very grateful I was able to hold onto my faith.

I have always had a desire to help people, that is why I want to finish my Psychology degree. I am still unsure as to what type of work I will do with that degree, but I know that I will find out soon! The title of the job I have accepted is an Admissions Counselor. I will initially make outbound calls to prospective students to recruit them into the school. I plan to move into a position that helps the student lay out how they want to achieve the degree and goals. I believe this position will help me with determining the exact avenue of my career, possibly teaching…

The education benefit has been changed and unfortunately our schooling will not be completely covered. Both Luke and I can take 1 online class per subterm, which equates to 2 in the fall, 2 in the spring and 1 in the summer, up to 18 credit hours, paid. Other classes will have to be paid by us. We currently are looking into as many scholarships as possible to help cover the expense of school. We both have a strong desire to remain debt free and pray that the doors will continue to be opened for us to do so. We have been fortunate thus far to be blessed in this aspect and pray for the blessing to continue.

Luke’s concentration has been focused on his studies along with Moot Court. Please be in prayer for him as he competes in his competitions. If he does well in Moot Court, with his grades and on his LSAT, we feel that law school will be taken care of, which would be a huge burden off of our shoulders once we get to that level of school.

Luke was a strong tower for me during this season of waiting (Matt 6:25-33). I had many days of feeling scared, depressed, worried and so on. I also experienced many days that I found it hard to pray, so I just cried out that Jesus would intercede for me. I would also surround myself with other followers and ask for them to pray for me.

One day recently I was very upset and discouraged while talking to Denise and Ben on the WebCam, they were able to provide me with such encouraging and comforting words. I have always been blessed when talking to them about obstacles I needed help to overcome. It is as though God uses them as a vessel to speak directly to me. I receive such warmth that seems to wrap all around me and penetrate all the way to my heart from the words they speak. Larry has always been there for me to run to since day one. He has such great insight into so many situations and helps to put things into perspective for me. He has shared some of his struggles with me and how he handles those situations. I enjoy listening to every one’s experiences and receiving insight from them. They are on the outside, they have been through some of the deepest valleys and climbed some of the most treacherous mountains that I have ever known anyone to go through, yet they still remain steadfast in their faith.

During this entire experience, we have seen so many doors opened for us and will never really be able to express how appreciative we are. I have been left in awe of God’s grace, mercy and faithfulness and have felt so unworthy of everything that God has provided for us. It reminds me to stay focused on Him and His promises. While God is faithful to me, I must also be faithful to Him in return.

Joshua 1: 5-9 (HCSB)

5 No one will be able to stand against you as long as you live. I will be with you, just as I was with Moses. I will not leave you or forsake you.
6 "Be strong and courageous, for you will distribute the land I swore to their fathers to give them as an inheritance. 7 Above all, be strong and very courageous to carefully observe the whole instruction My servant Moses commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right or the left, so that you will have success wherever you go. 8 This book of instruction must not depart from your mouth; you are to recite it day and night, so that you may carefully observe everything written in it. For then you will prosper and succeed in whatever you do. 9 Haven't I commanded you: be strong and courageous? Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."

No comments:

Post a Comment